2/28/2005

RSS (Again)

Just to follow on from my previous post about RSS. I'm currently using SAGE, which appears to use Firefox's bookmarks to store links to my RSS feeds. When I click on the feed it downloads it and applies a style to the XML from my local machine and displays it through a tab in Firefox.

It actually seems a bit silly for me to use this application, when I could get the same functionality with a very simple web application. Perhaps www.myfeeds.com/chris would display a nice interface with all the latest headlines from my feeds - that would update automatically without reloading. This would allow me to read my feeds from any computer and also export an XML file of all my feeds!

... I might just go register that domain ;)

5 minute update after post: A quick google search came up with the following services that already exist:
  1. http://www.bloglines.com/
  2. http://www.newsburst.com/
  3. http://www.rojo.com/
Oh well - I may have to at least try a couple out

15 minute update: It appears that (as I suspected) these services do their job, but not brilliantly and there is a lot of complexity. Bloglines was ugly plus it used frames. Rojo was a little better offering a nice pre-determined list of feeds, but was overly complex and appeared bloated.
Maybe I could hack together a prototype of a Rich Blog App on a weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results.”
- Herman Melville

RSS is the way of the Future...
submit rss feed

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home