3/11/2005

feedtagger.com & PHP5

After "launching" (aka telling a couple of people) feedtagger.com I have come across an annoying problem. I am using an RSS/Atom PHP Library called Magpie that is quite good. It uses the inbuilt XML parsing capabilities of PHP5, but unfortunately there is a bug in these XML libraries. As a result whenever my automatic cron job processes all the RSS/Atom feeds in the database it will occasionally "hang" on some feeds.
By hang it causes my hosting provider to email me saying they've cancelled all my cron jobs as their server load has jumped from 0.5% to 50% (The bug causes an infinite loop).
As the problem lies within PHP5 itself I'm in a really tough position. The bug has been fixed in CVS, but I have to wait for the next "stable" release before it is in a state that my web host will upgrade on their servers.

What am I supposed to do? At the moment I'm relegated to regularly checking if the auto-processing is working or not and flagging offending feeds to "skip".

In the meantime I guess I'll work on improving the UI and adding other cool features. (Maybe even clean up and organise the code too)

.... serves me right for wanting to use PHP5 as soon as it came out (or for not doing the whole thing in Python as I breifly considered)

9 Comments:

Blogger CloCkWeRX said...

Hah! Thank god, I'm not the only one burnt by early adoption.

PEAR XML Unserializer? Not as good as magpie, but...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Mud's Tests said...

Hi,

I'm interested in adding your feed to my syndication list, but wasn't able to find your feed. [I tried the atom-default, and your test-one but neither worked.]

Feel free to leave a link on my blog comments if you have an RSS feed.

Thanks!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great information, I book marked your site

I have a cheap domain web hosting site. It pretty much covers cheap domain web hosting related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and good info. Perhaps you could look at mine as well at Web Hosting Blog

7:09 AM  
Blogger Turnkey Builder said...

Get unlimited webhosting at web hosting web space

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Web Hosting** site/blog. It pretty much covers ##Web Hosting## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a **WEB HOSTING** site/. It pretty much covers WEB HOSTING related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a company hosting web site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

We have business and personal web hosting packages. No setup fees. Low cost domain registration, SSL certificates, merchant accounts and web design.

Come and check it out if you get time.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!
I'm definitely going to be checking back on your blog.

I have a top web hosting site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home